Friday, May 27, 2011

Being Aware of the Big Picture

This post will get a little more social than any before. 

A couple of nights ago I went to the Glee Live concert. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and absolutely loved the concert, but something left a horrible taste in my mouth afterwards. It took me awhile to figure it out, but it came to me with a bit of embarrassment. Before the concert, the staff (dressed in cheerleader outfits) handed out airplane barf bags. Yeah you heard me, barf bags. What amazed me is that people were going insane for these things! Men and women alike were screaming their lungs out to receive one of these silly little plastic-lined bags. All gimmicks aside, the bags actually served no purpose. Then the moment: I saw this group of girls yell and almost pass out when they got one of these sick bags. 

That's when it hit me. WHAT...THE...F***?! What the hell is our country coming to? People are starving, war is upon our nations, and disease spreads ever so quickly; but nonetheless, we allow entertainment to divert our attention from such pressing matters. Of course, I am one all for the arts and what it can teach, and so this post will only ask you to be aware. To be wary of how we allow media and entertainment to influence us. Indulging in entertainment can give us inspirations and dreams, but they can also divert our focus from the truth.

In improvisational comedy, especially short-form comedy, we can lose sight of our overall goals on stage. We get so nitpicky about the rules of some games and the laughter surrounding our scenes that we forget that we should be focusing on strong scene-work, relationships, and trust. Just as we need to see the world from an external view, we also need to see improv scenes from the same view. The best improvisers can see scenes simultaneously from both an audience and actor's perspective. By developing these skills, scenes can mature and be both comedic and sophisticated.

So world, I ask this of you, don't get too caught up in things that don't "really" matter and be aware of where we are investing ourselves. Enjoy life, but don't let it blind you.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to tell me what you think. 




4 comments:

  1. That's true. Much like we spend so much time focusing on fake presidential candidates (because it's funny) that no one can really bother with real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Gary Stensland and I approve this messege

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the last quote... Enjoy life, but don't let it blind you. You're good. And I completely agree. Obviously, I'm also in the entertainment field, so it's important to me.. but it frustrates me how we idolize the famous so much that we get invested in their lives to an overly invasive point, and for things that aren't important. We're celebrating drugs and rehab and dumb reality shows, when there are much bigger issues that deserve our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of our non-work time is spent in the middle of something escapist. I won't comment on Glee specifically, but we live in a culture that is more concerned with how we FEEL than how we THINK. People often tell me "Everything doesn't have to have a deeper meaning." Really? Then what's it's value? I constantly find myself pushing people to examine WHY they enjoy something, rather than simply consuming it because of how it makes them feel.

    ReplyDelete